Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

Settling In

So many folks have asked, where are you now?  We want to see pictures.  Well we have settled back in to the Columbus area.  In a suburb called Blacklick.  We were able to find a great condo to rent, yes rent.  Since we aren't really sure what our future plans are we decided renting would be the best route for us right now.  So we currently are living in a 2 bedroom, 3-1/2 bath condo.   Yes you read that right, we have more bathrooms than bedrooms.  When you go from living on a boat to living on land there are several amenities that one learns to appreciate.  Like for instance toilets that flush, and that don't have to be pumped out every 4-5 days.  So we were amazed, confused, overjoyed, when we found out this place had 4 toilets.  Okay probably more than you needed to know, but there is definitely no waiting at our house.
One of the four bathrooms in our humble abode.

Let's move on.  This place has 3 levels.  Two bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs, living room, dining area, kitchen and a half bath on the first floor and then in the basement another complete bathroom (shown above) a finished basement and a laundry/storage area.  The basement is really set up like a bedroom, but because there are no windows in that area it can not be "technically" used as one.  So instead we made this into my craft room and a play place for the boys when they come to visit.

The stairs to the basement, could be problematic with little ones, but we use a baby gate to
keep the boys from traveling down the stairs.


The Grandsons area on the right

My craft/sewing area 

The first floor is where we spend most of our time.  On the boat Mike had a chair and I used the bench to relax on.  But now we have some comfy chairs and a new sofa.  Before we left on our journey we gave away most of our furniture to our family so purchasing a few things when we returned had already been planned into the budget.

The walls came pre-painted in these colors so we worked around them.

The dining area is small but fits our needs.

The dining area is small but it fits our needs.  When we have folks over we move the recliner and put the extension in the table.  Cozy, but as I said before it works.

The kitchen is a galley set up. Ironic since that is what the kitchen was called on the boat.  It's just the right size for me (Jana).  Because of limited cabinet space though we do keep larger serving ware and some canned foods, etc. in the basement storage space.  I put together a bit of a pantry down there.  It seems to be working out just fine.

A very functional kitchen.

 A place to display my fiestaware again!

Off the living room outside the sliding glass doors is a good size deck.  We were given a great table and set of chairs from our friends the Kerns and my brother Gary gave us back our gas grill he had been keeping for us.  Plus there is a large planting box and areas around the deck that I help me get back to gardening.  

A nice place to spend some time outside.
A beautiful planter given to me by Susie to help me get my garden started.  Love it!
As stated earlier there are two bedrooms upstairs.  One is our room, we have to sleep somewhere.  The second bedroom will be used for Mike's office and a room for the grandsons to stay when spending the night.  Papa has plans to build them a trundle bed.  (More on that to come)  Our room has not been completed so no pictures yet.  We are working on a headboard for our room.  We have plans to make it out of some old fencing we found piled up behind our garage.  Yes there will be a post about that crazy project.

Oh dear almost completely forgot the 2-1/2 car garage.  Mike's little slice of heaven.  He is currently working on setting up half the garage for a workshop.  He has really missed the one he had in Ashville.  This is still a work in progress and I'll show more pictures once this is completed.

Mike working hard at building his workshop

 For now though we are happy to be here near family and friends and settling into our new home just fine.  Life is GOOD!!!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour! You look so organized already. You also sound very happy....yay!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd see these Lori I know you were asking for pictures. Yes we are pretty settled and with a lot of free time on my hands I have everything organized. I am much calmer when things are put in their place. Do still have a few more projects to work on, I'll post photos of those later.

      Delete
  2. I'm thrilled you saved your Fiesta pitchers! It all looks great! Wish I had your nerve to decorate--my place could use some extra touches! Keep on havin' fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I kept some of my Fiestaware, but sold a lot of it. I loved the pitchers and couldn't bare to part with them. We are enjoying the condo for now, but who knows where we will eventually decide to land. But for now we are loving the travel trailer and coming back to the condo occasionally to rest up.

      Delete