Sunday, April 30, 2017

First Cruise on the Jana Leigh

Well we made it!  Survived our first cruise on our SV Jana Leigh.  We joined some folks from our yacht club and took part in the "Shake Down Cruise" just over to Bridgeton. The event was from Friday through Sunday.  We had plans to leave around 2 on Friday but that was soon changed.  You see we had been without air conditioning for the past week.  We had someone here on Thursday to supposedly fix it and well he replaced the thermostat and left without checking to see if the unit actually was cooling, it was not!  So Mike spent the majority of Friday on the phone with the homeowners warranty folks to get someone else out here to fix it.  This Momma was not going another week without it.  Yes call me spoiled, but in 80 degree temps and high humidity, well lets just say it made me uncomfortable and grumpy.

So we finally got off our dock around 5 ish.  Put Miss Millie aboard and we were off to Bridgeton, which is just across the river from New Bern.  About a 1-1/2 hour cruise for us.

Miss Millie soon found her spot next to me.

She certainly was enjoying the wind in her face.
Our faithful Pup keeping watch

She had a close eye on the Admiral
Made it to New Bern

New Bern Cruise boat

Heading across the river to the Bridgeton Marina

Mike loved the fact that a train ran right behind our dock.

We were late getting to the event but arrived in one piece and Millie did a great job on her first voyage.  We  joined the group for some great conversation and a quick dinner (they had already eaten since we were late to the party.)  After a long day we packed it in and headed back to our boat to cool off and relax.

Beautiful night sky.

Next morning I was up early, as usual.  Made some coffee and headed out to the cockpit to enjoy my morning coffee.  I had been looking forward to this for weeks.

This is the way one should spend every morning.

After I fixed us some breakfast I took Millie for a walk up to the marina building.  Came across this cute group of ducks. Couldn't help but take pictures of them.

Okay I know I went a little overboard with the ducks but they were so cute and fun to watch.  We spent the rest of the morning working on the boat.  

Miss Millie finally figured out she could walk all over the deck.  She could greet everyone that came b, and yes she did.

She even stayed to watch Mike do some work on the lines.

After the 3 of us being out in the heat all morning we came back to the boat, had a light lunch and then took showers.  After showers we, yes all 3 of us took a nap.  Even Millie climbed up into her kennel on her own free will to take a nap.

Millies home away from home in the quarter berth.

We enjoyed a nice evening of cocktails and dinner with the folks from the yacht club.  Oddly enough I didn't take any photos at these events.  

It was another beautiful evening spent in the cockpit going over the days events.

Sunday morning we were up early again.  See when you sleep on a boat you both go to bed at the same time and pretty much awake at the same time since a certain puppy will not let you sleep too long.  We enjoyed breakfast again in the cockpit and began packing things up as we wanted to get a fairly early start back. 

My view from the Galley, hmm I think Miss Millie is looking for some handouts.

Taking us out past New Bern.

Mike had me back to the boat out of our slip.  The conditions were great and I had lots of room.  Since this was my first time to attempt this maneuver.  We were on our way before 9:00 a.m.  Just as we passed downtown New Bern we came across a group of dolphins.  It was so amazing to see them so close to our boat.  Mike took some photos of them on his cell phone.  He was able to get a couple shots of them, but they were so quick and his camera on his phone has a bit of a delay.

Two dolphins swimming by

Mike decided since the weather was favorable we would put the sails up.  This too was a first as we had not yet done this on this particular boat.  I was behind the wheel and he was pulling lines so there are no photos of that, but a new friend of our John Jackson was able to get a couple of shots of us as they were sailing behind us.

The S/V Jana Leigh, taken by John Jackson

So thankful of other boaters that take photos of us.

As we were approaching Broad Creek River which takes us back to our dock we came across a sailboat race and it was magnificent.  By that time Mike had taken over the wheel and I was quick to grab my camera and start shooting.  IT WAS AWESOME!!!!  and to quote Lynn a friend of mine a bit addicting.  So be patient there are quite a few boat pics to follow.

It was a wonderful weekend but we were so glad to get back home.  Upon arrival daughter Amanda sent us this adorable picture of two of our grandsons.  Miss those little guys, looking forward to seeing them at the end of May.

Night all!



  1. More fabulous photos! I love your new boat.... Life is good!

    1. Thanks Lori, life is good. We are so very blessed and loving life.